Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Tom Cruise is in my head

Try as I might, I can't escape knowing what Hollywood suck-bags are doing with their spare time. Through osmosis or proximity or whatever, I am aware that Tom Cruise took issue with psychiatry on a talk show.

So with this brou-haha surrounding Tom Cruise's attack on psychiatry and his trumpeting of scientology, I did want to learn a little about his faith.

And the Chronicle Herald delivered for me. Today, it's got a very readable article on the basics of scientology, and (while I appreciate it's a biased source) the religion sounds just as whacky as any other religion.... maybe even more so.

The part I do like though, is this:

"...how is (the creation story that has alien souls placed on earth 75 million years ago) any less believable than a creation story involving a man, woman, a cosmic garden and a talking snake? "

True, true.

And I did see War of the Worlds recently, too. I like Spielberg (I know, I know - what about Jurassic Park? For every Jurassic Park there's a Schindler's List or a Back to the Future), so I figured we'd give it a shot.

I liked it. It didn't move me (to a bigger house), but I liked it. And judging by the way my wife was squirming around, it was pretty scary, too.

But it seemed obvious to me that HG Wells could have easily intended his novel to be an allegory for today's human treatment of our planet - we enslave other species and use them for food; we leave a lot of destruction in our wake; there is seeminly no sense or compassion to it all; and in the end.... well, I'll leave the end for those who haven't seen or read it.

From the novel:

"And before we judge of (the aliens) too harshly we must remember what ruthless and utter destruction our own species has wrought, not only upon animals... but upon its inferior races. "

1 Comments:

Blogger Andrew J. said...

Funny, Funny, Funny! He is right. we are overly medicated. I saw a Details magazine with him on the front and an article about scientology. I'll have to go read it now.

8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home