Monday, June 20, 2005

I rode a bicycle for a living

This past weekend, I tore myself away from watching golf and building basements long enough to read this article about a Toronto bike courier who died on the job. Believe me, you don't need to waste your time by reading the article - here's the summary:

Bob, 58, had a heart attack while riding his bike, and he died within 10 minutes. 100 bike couriers had an impromptu wake for him in the middle of downtown Toronto.

I used to be a bike courier in Toronto. I did it for a month.

See, I like to ride my bike; it's one of my favourite things to do. So I foolishly thought that riding my bike for a job would be fun. It wasn't, and here's why:

There's nothing fun about having some half-witted dispatcher order you around all day.

There's nothing fun about riding a block, picking up a letter, and then riding half a block to deliver it (people who work for banks are lazy: walk it there yourself, asshole, it's half a block!).

There's nothing fun about huddling into a coffee shop, wet and cold, on rainy days.

As it turns out, being a bike courier sucked.

So I quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home