Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Another letter to the editor

People at the Chronicle Herald have been up in arms about some sort of doings that transpired involving cyclists.

A bunch of clowns wrote in saying how much they hate cyclists, think bikes shouldn't be on the roads, and other hurtful things.

So I wrote a letter to the editor, and it can be found below. Seeing as the Herald has (it would seem) a policy of reserving 50% of its published letters for people without a brain, mine might not make the cut.

Dear Herald,

The attitude towards bicyclists in North America - recently displayed by Herald readers - saddens me. We should be praising cyclists, not vilifying them.

In a country facing rising obesity rates, growing fears of an oil crisis, and the reality of climate change, the bicycle should be embraced for what it really is: the most efficient form of transportation on earth, a valid way to commute, and a great way to get exercise while reducing fossil fuel consumption.

For those of you who are upset when you have to pass a cyclist - remember that the cyclist could just as easily be sitting in front of you at a traffic light idling a monstrous, gas-guzzling SUV, clogging up both your morning commute and your air.

So the next time you're caught in rush hour, consider what it would be like if you were on your bike, passing all the poor drivers in their cars, smiling at how you are enjoying a beautiful afternoon, burning off the stress of the day, and not suffering from the frustration of stop-and-go traffic. It's a wonderful feeling, and cyclists have got it figured out.

Now if only the rest of us would do the same.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Living on Waverley road, I deal with cyclists on a regular basis. Cycling on Waverley road can be dangerous to both the cyclist and driver if not done properly. Waverley road is very narrow and has ALOT of blind turns. In my experience some cyclists do not make an effort to move farther to the side in order for the car to pass safely. It is particularly hard to pass a group of 10-20 cyclists, which is common in my area.

I know I have been concerned in passing cyclists on Waverley road because I don't know if there is a car coming in the opposite direction. Making it very dangerous to pass. I have found myself following cyclists for miles waiting to pass because the person on the bike refused to move over to allow cars to pass. I think that is where some of the arguements are stemming from with drivers. I have never had any problems with cyclists on any other road. Luckily, I haven't heard of any accidents involving cyclists and drivers. But, from what I have seen it is bound to happen on waverly road eventually.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Legally, cyclists have as much right to be on the road as you do, and the burden is on you to pass safely. It is somewhat inconsiderate for a cyclist not to pull to the side, but sometimes it is unsafe for them to do so - potholes and narrow shoulders and the like.

I am not feeling too much sympathy for you. Seeing as you have a 2km drive to the 102 junction, you can put up with it.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

It is about 10km from the rotary to Waverley along Waverley Road. Which I drive often. I agree with you. I can put up with cyclists for the 2km stretch from the highway to my house. In fact, I feel that I can put up with cyclists everywhere. The point I was trying to make is that Waverley road is one of those special areas where cyclists should be more careful and allow motorists to pass safely. The attitude of cyclists not wanting to move off to the side will eventually get someone killed on that road.

For the record. I have no beef with cyclists.

4:43 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

I hate them so much!

They are the scourge of our society, and I think they should go back where they came from.

Friggin' cyclists.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home