Tuesday, May 03, 2005

An exchange of letters

The guy who fronts The National Anxiety Center (which I've already linked to, and once is enough) had a pleasant email exchange. Here it is:

I wrote:

"Alan,

You seem to be suffering from a lot of anxiety.

I've been reading your writing, and I must say that I disagree with all of it. But what are conflicting opinions between friends?

I just wonder how you feel about this (link to CNN report on NASA's study confirming global warming)?"

And Alan wrote:

"Dear Andrew:

CNN is unfortunately a corrupted news source since it consistently supports dubious science claims such as those about global warming. For decades now the claims put forth for this hoax have been consistently debunked by a large number of scientists. Go over to www.globalwarming.org for an alternative look at this topic.

Regards,
Alan Caruba "


So I went ovet to that site, and I sniffed around, and here's what I wrote back:

"Alan,

all news sources are "corrupt" or biased, depending on your perspective. If we're going to assume that pure science is the only unbiased information, then it might help to remind you that this wasn't a CNN report but a NASA report - one of the most respected science institutes in the world.

This "hoax," while "debunked" by a large number of scientists, is also affirmed by many more scientists, and the list of believers is growing.

And if you would like to make reference to corrupt news sources, take a look at the website you directed me to (www.globalwarming.org): it is operated by the Cooler Heads Coalition, a purported non-partisan group. But who are members of this coalition? Among others,

Americans for Tax Reform
Association of Concerned Taxpayers
Citizens for a Sound Economy
Competitive Enterprise Institute
Consumer Alert
Defenders of Property Rights
Frontiers of Freedom
Seniors Coalition
60 Plus Association
Small Business Survival Committee

Not exactly a non-partisan group, I think. Frankly, I'd rather trust real scientists doing real work, like NASA in your country and Environment Canada in mine.

I, for one, recognize that to slow the effects of human-induced climate change, there needs to be a change in the way humans live their lives. I'm not afraid of this, and I am prepared to make my sacrifices. I hope that you are prepared to make yours, too.

But if you're not prepared, I can safely say that after you have moved on, there will be people like me struggling to preserve - for your children - what is left of this planet.


Andrew"

Still awaiting a response from Alan Caruba.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Global warming may indeed be happening. I am not one to argue with science. But it is impossible to tell if the cause is from human interference or simply the earth changing climate, as it has a millions of times in the last 4.9 billion years. No doubt, we can't be helping the situation. But I don't know if we could have caused that much damage to enhance global warming. Being a geologist, that just doesn't fly with me.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Jason! You unoriginal, lazy bastard. You posted the same reply on my blog!

12:55 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Jason, all due respect, but you're not a geologist. You did a mining engineering degree at a half-assed university. And geologists study rock, not climate: those people are called climatologists.

The current state of affairs says that the earth is in a natural state of warming, but climatologists believe that at no point in the history of the earth has such a dramatic increase in global temperatures ever occurred. Recent studies have linked human activity to climate change.

Again, I'll tend to agree with the people actually studying the issue, like NASA and Environment Canada.

But since you're a geologist, you should know all about this stuff by now.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

First of all, I wanted to cover both blogs in case someone missed it. And I am fat.

Second, and Mike will agree (then again maybe not because people don't seem to want to agree with me even when I'm right) that we took enough geology courses, with electives, that would have qualified us for a minor if not a major degree. Since the Dalhousie Geology program is a three year program.

Third. Geologists just don't study rocks. That is a generalization. DON'T ATTACK THEM! They study earth sciences, which is now the program name replacing geology. Some climatologists probably have a bachelors degree in geology (earth sciences). Actually I believe there is a course at Dalhousie, which is in the earth sciences program, that studies the earths climate over geological time.

Fourth. I know i'm not a geologist. But I have an interest in it, and it just doesn't encompass rocks. I don't disagree with global warming theories. I find them interesting. I have also read more articles on global warming than you think I have. I just question some of the evidence. Especially when there are so many theories that are different, based on different evidence.

The reports are interesting. I don't claim to "know all about this stuff". I don't know much about it at all. But I do know I have been exposed to this issue before. But hey, if NASA & Environment Canada said it, then it must be true right?

9:47 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Why would I attack geologists? I love geologists.

You've read global warming theories? So then... you read....

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

I do read. Just not books. Wait, did I mention I read Star Wars: Return Of The Sith, by Matthew Stover. I also watch documentaries. You know, the discovery channel is host to alot of interesting documentaries regarding earth science. I also have numerous, non fiction, earth science books. Some are text books from univerity. Some are books I have purchased over the years. You can borrow them If you'd like, now that you are home.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Next time I see a geologist, I'm going to beat him over the head with a republican.

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home