Tuesday, May 24, 2005

The cost of recycling

I've got some stuff in the works with Vic for a long post about The Passion (of the christ), but between now and then, this:

An interesting article from The Toronto Star about recycling - from what happens when you put your stuff in the blue bin to the actual cost of recycling the items.

The thing I found most interesting is that Toronto (and Ontario) are enfprcing a levee on plastics manufacturers: if a company is going to make a container, it must be blue-bin compatible, and the company has to pay 50% of the cost of its recycling.

Brings me back to a conversation I had with old friend Duane. He went to a talk by a progressive environmentalist who proposed the idea of paying a direct tax on every item - that tax would cover the cost of either recycling the item or disposing of it properly. The example he used was a tube of toothpaste - maybe it costs $0.25 to strip down the tube and extract the aluminum from it. As such, consumers would pay a 25 cent disposal tax. Interesting.

Since we've gotten a dog, I can't imagine the number of plastic grocery bags (due to the poop) we've consigned to a landfill. Gotta cut down on that.

3 Comments:

Blogger Chimpo said...

I can only imagine how many plastic bags your wife goes through hauling out the shit that spews out of your mouth on a daily basis.

8:13 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Chimp,

if you're going to post comments on my blog, try to post something insightful, OK? Otherwise, I'll have to start picking on your grammar, appearance, and your overall level of intelligence.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Chimpo said...

I guess there was no insight in my comment...being that everyone knows your wife has to use paper sacks to haul out the shit since plastic doesn't have the necessary weight capacity. I bet your lawn looks fantastic.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home