Thursday, April 28, 2005

From chaos, order

So much to say, so little time.... or more appropriately, a lot of things on which to comment, and no focus with which to do it.

In randomness:

- I've been getting a lot of "why are you a vegetarian?" questions lately. Another long, thorough explanation is necessary, but to sum up: if you can contribute to less horror, suffering, and killing, why not do it?

- This election thing is freaking me out. Thankfully, it looks like the polls have settled in a little, and people aren't so eager to hand the reins over to Harper.

- Free speech. I've been at workshops all week long, and some of them relate to free speech, equality, and the like. I was reminded of the age-old (and Simpsons-esque) definition of freedom: "I can swing my fists in freedom - in any way I like - until the moment they contact your nose." Makes a lot of sense.

- Lot of debating about religion, specifically christianity. Man, does religion ever drag me down. The way it is used, the way people wield it like a weapon, makes me sad.

- When did Mike Mulrooney turn into a red neck? "Instituting the GST doesn't make him the worst we have ever seen... paying for deadbeats to live the good life in Canada costs money. " And later, "I hate the fact that my tax dollars have to go to the treatment of the gamblers, the wellfare that a lot of them are on."

I do agree with him, however, that I "would never defend Brian Mulroney, he is responsible for Ben Mulroney. Neither of whom are related to me. "

- Jason Baker, on the other hand, is back on the bandwagon. Maybe I'll add him back on my blog links. He gives me a shout-out for the ANWR talk - good to see politicians haven't lost their sense of humour.

I recently heard a stat that said if you weren't a voter by the time you turned 25, you'll likely never be a voter. Maybe Jason can change that around for himself. Either way, Jason, there is such a thing as a "no one" vote - it's called spoiling your ballot. What it says to the politicians is, "This is important enough for me to get off my ass and come down to the polls to do, but I'm so upset with all of you that I'm not voting." It's one of your options, as is this: instead of voting for a party, vote for a candidate. During the next election, talk to all 4 (or more) of your local candidates, and decide which one would make the most difference in parliament.

Further, think about how you might feel if Harper is our next Prime Minister and he wins by a few hundred votes. Maybe you'll feel guilty for not voting? And you think this can't happen? Think again - think about Florida in 2000.

Regarding Jason's blog entry on Video Lottery Terminals - "VLT's especially, are basically scams to take your money. 90% of people are at a loss instead of gain." In fact, 100% of these people are at a loss instead of a gain, if they play long enough. All lotteries, gambling games, and sports betting games where there's a "house" are rigged so that the house always - always - wins in the long run. Lotteries are nothing but tax for the math-illiterate.

And this post: Statistically speaking, that same little old lady who was upset about being searched likely voted for a government in favour of more stringent airport security and the eradication of terrorist threats overseas. The irony is rich, and I feel no sympathy.

- On to Mark's ramblings: Mark, you're upset about laws prohibiting smoking in bars... how do you feel about smoking in public? Further, if Mike Mulrooney is going to be upset about paying taxes to support welfare cases, he should be much, much more upset about the fact that fully 50% of his tax money goes toward health care - a huge drain on which are cancer patients. (An aside, the Ontario Surgeon General sees obesity as a big a health care cost as cancer in the next 50 years. Stay in shape, people). However, I will say that I recall reading about a study that showed people who are "addicted" to gambling actually suffer physiological withdrawal effects when they no longer gamble: in essence, they are addicted to the passtime because they actually have a neuro-chemical response similar to that of any other type of addiction. Can't remember when or where I read that, though.

- Finally, after I've ripped everybody up, just like to remind everyone that this year is the 50th anniversary of Einstein's death and the 100th of the year when he made his first big impact on the world of physics. A quote from one of the smartest and most respected people to ever live:

Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. ~Albert Einstein

2 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Andrew, you ignorant slut.

I had a comment for your post, but I started getting carried away, so I put it on my own blog site.

Oh, and don't take that, "ignorant slut," comment to heart. I was just playin'.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Andrew, you hoar.

Since we are into quoting Einstein here...

The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. ~ Albert Einstein

Lame, I know but it was all I could find.

Anyway, REDNECK! Yikes!

redneck • noun N. Amer. informal, derogatory, a working-class white person from the southern US, especially a politically conservative one.

You know me, liberal, white, and from Canada (although thinking seriously about changing that). But why the labels?

I think we are on the same page (hippies and rednecks CAN agree). I just believe that what I work for is mine and shouldn't be dolled out to those who chose not to work for what they get. Health care is one of those things... see we agree as well on this.

Let me know how the taxes treat you when you file after being in Antigua... I spent 80 days in Canada last year, don't have an MSI card, nor do I drain other resources (other than natural ones). I work hard for my money and 40% is gone... step into my shoes.

I know I could get out of Canada for tax purposes, but honestly I thought 80 of 365 days was a good try.

And I meant the hoar thing.

12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home