Tuesday, November 23, 2004

Shunning the family empire

John Robbins was heir to the Baskin-Robbins ice cream empire. He shunned it all (every penny of it) and set out across America to investigate eating habits and how they affect the animals, the earth, and the people who consume meat.

I just watched his movie. It was excellent. And here's one of John's quotes that stuck out at me:

"As a concerned citizen, I am someone who wants my life to be a statement of compassion, in some respects, for the world. When I see what's done to the animals, it makes me look at my food choices in a whole new way. I have to question, 'is this what I want my contribution to the world to involve?'"

A great question. What is it we want our contribution to the world to involve?

John's book, Diet For A New America (which shares the title with his movie), can be discovered at Amazon.com

I wonder how he felt when he told his father that the places with the highest consumption of milk are those with the highest population rates of osteoporosis.

The fact that the lie of milk - "it does a body good" - has been forced down our throat (literally) for so long must have made John sick and his father angry with denial.

I wish my family had an empire. I'd shun the hell out of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home